Sunday, July 27, 2014

The French Learn to Love Chocolate at an Early Age

I have to admit that a lot of people think I'm odd because I'm not a chocoholic & I don't like dark chocolate at all (too bitter for me; I also dislike coffee & mostly anything else my strange taste buds find bitter). That doesn't mean I'm anti-chocolate, but it's not a main part of my diet.

The French, however, seem to develop a taste for chocolate at a very early age -- too early in my opinion. There are chocolate flavored products for babies:





Both of these products are labeled as being 
suitable for children as young as 8 months. I couldn't find an image to post here, but I saw chocolate baby formula on the pharmacy shelf -- for infants! Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit early to start introducing chocolate into a child's diet?





A walk down the cereal aisle in a French supermarket is almost like walking into a candy store -- nearly all cereals have some sort of chocolate, which means those of us who don't want chocolate cereal have a limited selection from which to choose. Somehow, I don't equate chocolate cereal with fitness (see photo below).
                       

Of course, there's also Nutella tartines (chocolate hazelnut spread on baguette or other bread) & pain au chocolat (chocolate croissant) if you're not into cereal for breakfast & still want to get your chocolate fix to start the day.

                                     


                                               
Anyone who has spent any time in France knows that chocolate consumption is not limited to mornings; it happens at all times of day & evening, as snacks & desserts & is a big part of French culture & life. I have absolutely no problem with that, but I just can't get used to the idea of feeding chocolate to an 8-month-old (or even younger), especially with the rising problem of obesity.

By now, you might think I'm crazy, or you might be craving chocolate, but if you're reading this, you're not an 8-month-old.




1 comment:

  1. Holly, this is Wendela. I am definitely a chocoholic, but only for the truly good quality stuff, not the cheap candy bar variety, and certainly not in my cereal. Although good chocolate has many health benefits, giving babies sweetened chocolate products seems not a healthy idea. In Holland where I grew up, we have "chocolate hail" or sprinkles that we put on buttered bread or toast. Lots of bad quality chocolate goes in many of them, I'm sure, but children love the stuff. Here's a fun link: http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/12/eating-sprinkles-the-dutch-way-hagelslag-on-bread.html.

    ReplyDelete